Sunday October 7, 2012
Con-test leaves man singing the bluesGEORGE TOWN: A waiter's dream to be a singing sensation went bust after he and some 100 others were cheated by a con man.
Waiter Yip Jing Qun, 18, lost RM1,750 after he signed up for a singing competition.
“I paid the registration fee of RM50 to take part in the competition and won second place.
“The winning prizes for the competition was RM2,000, an iPad besides a trip to Taiwan. None of the prizes were given. Instead, I was asked to fork out RM1,700 for a trip to Singapore for a recording session and to Taiwan for a singing competition.
“I deposited the amount in July, but there was no response from the organiser (the con man),” he said at the Penang MCA headquarters yesterday.
Penang MCA Public Services and Complaints Bureau deputy chief Lim Thoon Deong said he would write a letter to IGP Tan Sri Ismail Omar, Penang police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Abd Rahim Hanafi and Deputy Home Minister Datuk Lee Chee Leong.
“I will gather the police reports from the victims and address it to them. So far, four reports have been made.
“I have urged the other victims to come forward. We need to look into the matter seriously since many are believed to have been conned.”
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/10/7/nation/12138009&sec=nation
Where - George Town
When - Saturday, 6th October
What - Man was conned in a singing contest
Who - Yip Jing Qun, 18
Element of newsworthy - Consequence
No comments:
Post a Comment